Speculation: Overwatch 2 PvE Content?
A job opening for an Overwatch Senior Games Writer seems to hint at PvE content coming to Overwatch. It is slightly implied where it says: “Quickly write and iterate on compelling dialogue for characters, missions, and cinematics.”
I don’t know about you, but all Overwatch maps have objectives or tips at the loading screens… not missions.
It could be a matter of semantics. The Arcade mode provides the “Info” tab. Could that be referred to as a “mission”?
The recent Storm Rising event had absolutely no Mission objectives onscreen. Mostly voice over cues from Sojourn when or how to do things.
Is the Info tab or the voice over script for events like Retribution, and Storm Rising referred here as “Missions”?
Probably. But if not, maybe this job opening had a slip of tongue and hinted at something the Overwatch team is working on. If that’s the case, this kinda resonates with a rumor/leak posted by Kotaku a few months ago about Overwatch 2.
In a sense, some of the Overwatch assets were formerly and/or partially part of Project Titan. What if Overwatch could evolve into some sort of PvE MMO with the same PvP mode component we have been playing in the past few years (or improved)?
When I hear the word “mission” I can’t but think of World of Warcraft quest missions, or StarCraft II mission objetives, or even Diablo III Acts’s quests/missions.
Certainly, the “Info” page in the Overwatch arcade doesn’t have a mission vibe to me; but we could get into a potato/potatoe type of argument with this job opening keyword. What do you think “mission” means?
The job opening also says “Write in-game backstory for the world, factions, and characters.” Could that be referring to the short blurbs in the Hero Gallery, or a new Overwatch feature?
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced senior game writer to join the Overwatch team. As part of the writing team, your day to day responsibilities will include dialogue writing, story development, and content implementation. In addition, you will frequently be called upon to assist with editing, research and intellectual property management.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success as an experienced game developer with strong creative writing experience, excellent collaboration skills, and a real passion for Overwatch.
- Quickly write and iterate on compelling dialogue for characters, missions, and cinematics
- Write in-game backstory for the world, factions, and characters
- Contribute to the story development of the Overwatch universe
- Maintain the vision of the Overwatch universe
- Do research gathering and documentation
- Perform editing tasks as needed
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by team management
- 3+ years of industry experience as a writer/story developer
- At least one shipped AAA game title in a writing or game design role
- Understanding and knowledge of the universe of Overwatch
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Able to create dynamic dialogue for Overwatch heroes
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Excellent organizational skills and able to work well under deadlines
- Work and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Knowledge of current successful intellectual properties in today’s popular culture
- Plays and has knowledge of modern video games
- Technically proficient to learn toolsets to implement work into the game
- Experience in game design
- Understand various game toolsets
- Successfully published writing work (novels, short fiction, film, television, comics)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Links or attachments of writing samples/portfolio (preferred)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
- Resume (required)
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!