Overwatch Update: 2 New Heroes, 2 New Maps, and New Game Modes
Jeff Kaplan discusses plans for 2 new heroes, 2 new maps, and at least 4 new maps (in prototype form) to introduce new game-modes. In this developer update video, Jeff Kaplan also talks about a few changes to Widowmaker, Junkrat, Genji and Symmetra; and additions to spectator mode: Camera Bookmarks.
- Widowmaker cancel-animation will be removed to speed up her scope ability.
- Changes coming to Junkrat’s Trap.
- Junkrat’s Ultimate activation will be quicker.
- Genji will no longer be able to dash through Junkrat’s Trap and auto-destroy it. He will get caught by the trap instead.
- Symmetra changes will take a lot of time to implement. Potentially mid-November, but likely much later into 2017. The team is looking at changing some damage numbers, cooldown numbers, but also dramatic changes. Symmetra was not intended as a healer even if she is in the support category.
- New Hero coming far along in internal playtesting and to be announced soon.
- Another Hero prototype in the works currently using placeholder animations and special effects. Coming 2017.
- Currently working on a lot of new maps
- One of the maps coming far along in internal Playtesting and art is being added. This particular map is for an existing game-mode.
- A second map currently in prototype form. An existing game-mode map. Coming in 2017.
- In addition to these, there are currently 4 new maps (new game-mode/s) currently in development in prototype form. Developer-only playtesting, not company-wide. It’s not clear how many of these might be added or discarded
- Spectator improvements for eSports